Sunday 5 June 2011

Merci


I'm a bit apprehensive about blogging about this shop because I don't really want the world to think I'm associating myself with it and thinking I am as cool as it. It is SO suave and cool and arty and modern I would just embarrass myself gushing over the whole thing. Its a 'concept shop', and what I think that means (I don't exactly know) is that the whole shop - the decor, the prices, of course the product - is moulded to fit (or create) an entire lifestyle. It's kind of warped if you think about it too much, because its really encouraging the idea of going into a space a grey canvas and coming out a ready made person. You can buy a jumper, and then a scarf, and then a book which goes with this new personality, and a quirky umbrella perhaps, and a novelty corkscrew. You can even buy a rug to line the entrance to your fantastical artistical whimsical life. 
[Note: this is different to a department store, because department stores have, like, departments. Concept stores are way more open so the energy of the place can flow without any obstacles, man.] 
Think Urban Outfitters if you're stuck. Well anyway I like the idea. I don't mind being moulded, I'm very susceptible to any kind of help in making me seem cool. Ha. 

Back to Merci! It is lovely. It's located at 111 boulevard Beaumarchais, Paris and if you're ever in the neighbourhood, its a wonderful way to spend an hour. There's a couple of adjoining cafe's like this one below which was so louvrely (uh) and had a nice atmosphere. There are bored kids playing on gameboys waiting for mama and popsicle and although I was aware of how sticky and sweaty and trampy and British I looked, I wasn't even scared of the till lady. I get very scared of till ladies usually. 





I bought this lamp! It has a clamp that I thought would fix nicely to my bed and it has. I have no idea where to get an adaptor that goes European to my house but I'll make sure I can switch it on at some point. Swag on yeah. 

1 comment: